Monday, January 17, 2011

If you watch Black Swan, you might actually want to see a Ballet

Last night, I went to go see Black Swan with some friends after a wonderful dinner at Salt House.


I wasn't 100% sure what I was getting into, knowing that Darren Aronofsky's works are typically dark, depressing, but always entertaining. I have watched all of Aronofsky's other movies (except "The Wrestler", which I will watch this week) and have thought after every single one, "That was amazing, but I will never watch that again." Little do I know that a short while later, I will start thinking about his movies again and want to watch Max take a power drill to his own brain.

I didn't know the story behind the ballet "Swan Lake" going into it, but I had to assume that the story lines would intertwine. Aronofsky is too clever for that. Too bad I don't watch ballet...yet.

The movie was shot in a very black and white sort of way. There were colors in the film, but the emphasis put on the distinct black/white separation between characters, scenes and moods put more "color" into the film than any actual color could.


Natalie Portman (Nina) has some problems with perfection, which is seen pretty early in the film. She does a good job of portraying the emotions that go through the story. She doesn't look her best in the movie, but I suppose that goes along with portraying a ballerina.


Mila Kunis (Lily) was not in the movie as much as I thought she would be from the previews, but her character is a good contrast to the straight laced Nina.

Vincent Cassel (Thomas) was a great director in the film, showcasing the power and energy that a director has.

Winona Rider (Beth) made a surprise appearance (for me), as I had no idea she was even still making films.

The movie was beautiful, both in cinematography and in the story. There are definitely some points that will make you squeamish, jump and (as a friend of mine did) actually scream, but all in all, I will probably want to see this again in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment