Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Koh Phangan - relaxing by the beach

Travelling to Koh Phangan was a lot better than travelling to Koh Tao. The boat ride was smoother, and we were able to stay up top the entire time without being soaked (although we did get a little wet). We got there and headed to Haad Rin Nai/Nok. (Sunrise/Sunset Beach)

There weren't any beaches that we found right away, which was pretty disappointing because of the name, but eventually we did find the sunrise side. It was pretty big, but only when the tide was out. This is where they have the famous Full Moon Party with thousands of people showing up to drink until the sunrise. We didn't end up going to the full moon party because it seemed very overrated and a little bit like a giant frat boy party.

The cities of Rin Nai and Nok were pretty nice, set up for tourists, but cheap tourists like us. We found some cool restaurants (Lazy House!) where we could watch TV shows and movies and eat at the same time. We got to know the two people that work there (Jai and Thun), both nice guys. Thun and I played a couple games of pool, but his rules were a little different.

We also met a nice lady named Mam. She was the receptionist at the place that we were staying (Haad Rin Thai Resort). We took her out to dinner and she taught us some Thai, told us about her life and some other fun stuff. It was a difficult night though, because she didn't speak English very well, and we don't speak Thai much at all. My head hurt at the end of it. :)

I am finally starting to get tan here. Laying on the beach and playing in the waves is a ton of fun. I can't seem to get Lily to play with me in them for very long though. She doesn't like the water as much as I do.

There are tons of stray dogs (and ones that are owned, but run around the towns) out here. We have named several of them, and Goat is my favorite. He looks like a goat surprisingly. I know the doctors told me not to touch them because of Rabies, but I just can't not pet them. If I come home drooling, you'll know why.

Off to Railey Beach next!

No comments:

Post a Comment